General News Local

Gas explosion caused Kumasi Kejetia market fire – Bawumia discloses

Gas explosion caused Kumasi Kejetia market fire - Bawumia discloses

During his visit to the site of the Kumasi Kejetia market fire in the Ashanti Region, Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia was informed by officers of the Ghana National Fire Service and the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) that the fire, which occurred on Thursday, 16 March 2023, was caused by a gas explosion.

The Vice President relayed to the traders that one of them was cooking with a gas cooker in a shop located close to other shops that sold chemicals and gunpowder, which led to the explosion. He refuted earlier rumours that the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

Metro Lens

Dr Bawumia assured the traders that the government was taking measures to restore the market to its former state and enable them to resume their activities.

He also pledged to implement the recommendations of the committee established to investigate the fire incident.

The Vice President commended the Fire Service and NADMO officials for their efforts in bringing the fire under control.

The fire resulted in the destruction of 33 shops out of the market’s 8,000 shops.

The Vice President announced that the market would be reopened for business on Tuesday, 21 March 2023, contrary to the Board of the market’s decision to close it for a week

Leave feedback about this

  • Quality
  • Price
  • Service

PROS

+
Add Field

CONS

+
Add Field
Choose Image
Choose Video
X